March is Endometriosis Awareness Month! The 5th Annual March for Endometriosis will take place on March 24th, 2018 in major cities such as San Francisco, Atlanta, Chicago, New York, and Washington D.C. In addition, there will be groups all over the world hosting similar marches in Australia, France, Canada, Belgium, Germany, Hong Kong, and even Zimbabwe (1).
The purpose of the Endo March Movement is to raise overall awareness about this chronic condition that affects millions of women and to create a team where physicians and scientists come together. Its goals are “Empowerment, Education, and Care” with the following being of utmost importance (2):
- Raise awareness about Endometriosis and its effects on women
- Unite and provide resources for women
- Educate and train medical professionals to promote early detection and improved treatment
- Improve non-invasive diagnostic testing
- Develop collaborations between scientists to work on more effective, individualized treatment options that ultimately help find a cure
- Improve early health screenings for Endometriosis among younger girls
- Foster our government and congress to allocate funding for Endomteriosis (2).
Although March is the designated Endometriosis Awareness Month, you don’t have to wait until March to get involved. You can share what you know with your primary care physician, you can talk to your sisters, girlfriends, and other female friends about symptoms, and you can put pressure on those in power to get funding. And, if you feel so inclined, wear a yellow ribbon this month!
Thank you to the Endo March organization as well as all its supporters for making this event happen.
(1) Endo March Event Info: http://www.endomarch.org/event-info/
(2) Endo March Mission Statement: http://www.endomarch.org/mission-statement/